About BIP-UPy

Context

Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) and Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI) are common pelvic floor dysfunctions affecting millions of women worldwide, especially women who have had children, are obese or at elder age. People suffering from SUI have an estimated lifetime risk of 20-40%, which reaches to 30-50% for POP patients. The current techniques that use implants have been causing high complication rates.

Diapositiva1

Intracranial aneurysms are life-threatening bulges of the brain’s blood vessels. It is estimated that between 1 and 6% of the population may present them, and the associated mortality reaches 50%. At present, the treatment of cerebral aneurysm is mainly based on endovascular implantation of platinum coils, in approximately 80% of the cases, or surgical clipping, in the remaining 20% of the cases. Current treatments involve both high risks for the patient and high costs for the hospital.

Diapositiva2

The project

BIP-UPy (Bioactive Implantable Polymers based on UreidoPyrimidinone), a 4-year project co-founded by the European Commission, has addressed the need for new biomedical implants which can be easily fine-tuned in terms of bioactivity, biodegradability and mechanical performance depending on their final clinical application.

The final ultimate goal of BIP-UPy has been to develop new bioactivated and bioabsorbable polymers designed to stimulate the body’s natural tissue restoration with specific bioactivities which can be used to target specific clinical needs. The project team has focused on manufacturing and validating two bioactive medical implants that aim to improve the quality of life of people suffering from intracranial aneurysm and women with Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) and Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI).

Goals

At the beginning of the project, BIP-UPy had the following objectives:

  • To create an innovative procedure for polymer bioactivation for special clinical leads.
  • Manufacture two (2) bioactive medical implants targeting:
    • People suffering from Pelvic Floor Dysfunction.
    • People suffering from Intracranial Aneurysm.
  • To develop new bioactivated polymers with specific bioactivities.
  • To develop a methodology for obtaining biomedical implants customized in terms of bioactivity, biodegradability, mechanical performance and clinical application.